Re: More liberal draft formatting standards required

2009-06-30 16:16:07
On Jun 29, 2009, at 16:22, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

It is not the height of the barrier, it is the perception that people are making nit-picking objections for the sake of rubbing people's noses in the fact that they can decide where to put the bar.

In the more traditional publishing milieus of which I'm aware, that sort of perception is the shibboleth that separates the serious writers from the unpublishable wankers. Prospective authors who express a sense of entitlement to the submission of their manuscripts in formats that don't meet the requirements of the editors who review them are usually encouraged to start their own publishing outfits and see if they can do it all better by themselves.

Occasionally, this encouragement is even delivered without the use of coarse language.

We participants are our own acquisitions editors here, of course, so the height of the barrier is what we should be thinking about. It makes sense to me that we should be automating the mechanical screening of manuscripts coming into the slushpile so that they meet the machine-scriptable subset of the requirements of the RFC Editor as closely as possible.

Are there any nitpicks the draft submission service enforces that aren't really RFC Editor requirements? What are they? Let's fix those. What I don't want to see is a lot of drafts start piling up without even coming close to meeting the *mechanical* requirements of the RFC Editor, much less the more difficult syntax requirements of the working natural language we've chosen. It won't help anyone if we allow authors to defer the process of cleaning up the formatting and boilerplate of a draft until late enough in the review cycle that major reformatting deltas look to the differencing tools like all-new content.

If this was about really about quality or readability I would be a lot more sympathetic. But when a draft is rejected because xml2rfc produces a txt file that is rejected because some nit-picker does not quite like the exact TXT format then the whole process is bogus.

For my part, I haven't any serious complaints about the status quo (plenty of unserious ones, but no serious ones). The process works well enough for me-- modulo the limitations imposed by our choice of archival format, and my general complaints about the open usability issues of XML2RFC on which I mostly agree with EKR, and on which I'm no more prepared to do anything about than either he or Iljitsch seems to be.

So long as we are not discussing any proposals to *change* the set of approved archival formats, I'll continue to be happy-- nay, very impressed, actually-- with how well XML2RFC meets our needs, despite the its obvious warts.

If we decide to open another discussion about new archival formats, then I'll be interested to follow along, but archival formats aren't on the table here-- at least, I hope not.

-----
Shorter james: I'm far from convinced that changing the draft submission server to be more lenient is the best way to address the deficiencies in the software we're using, and I also think that opening a new discussion about archival formats will mean unleashing a yet another force-ten maelstrom of controversy that I'd prefer to observe from a very, very safe distance, i.e. one measured in parsecs.

--
james woodyatt <jhw(_at_)apple(_dot_)com>
member of technical staff, communications engineering