Re: More liberal draft formatting standards required

2009-07-02 12:17:16
At 10:19 PM -0700 7/1/09, Douglas Otis wrote:
for wanting more than just plain text documents is to permit
inclusion of charts, graphs, and tables, for a visual society

It seems to me that where this discussion has faltered before is
on whether this is, in fact, a requirement.  In the past, multiple
people have argued that switching to a mode in which understanding
the figures is necessary to understanding the protocol would
be a step away from clarity, searchability, and inclusiveness.
We have agreed to do it in some places in the past, but I
believe there has been no previous rough consensus that it
should be the default.

If we are going to re-run this discussion, can we first check
on the consensus on this requirement?  If we don't agree
here, the chance of this run concluding seems no better than
any of the previous runs at the problem.  The discussion
just fragments into tool use, printer capabilities, and various
distractions.

                        regards,
                                Ted Hardie