RE: XML2RFC must die, was: Re: Two different threads - IETF Document Format

2009-07-05 19:26:36

At 11:01 AM 7/5/2009, Joel M. Halpern wrote:
I have seen some folks arguing that we should make XML2RFC normative
and mandatory.  If they can figure out how to automatically and
accurate convert the other mechanisms people use, then that can be
considered. Otherwise, mandating would be inappropriate, as some
folks do indeed find it difficult.

+1

For those who are used to MS-Word, XMLMind is frustrating and truly requires an
XML mind.  Even simple things like cut/paste are done in a very different (and
frankly inconsistent) way, as are references and such.  In theory a WYSIWYG
word processor shouldn't require an author to know the internal representation
and underlying language of the document format.

I know a large number if not outright majority of IETF authors do not use
MS-Word, so XML2RFC is a fine *option* - but please don't ever *mandate* it and
force the rest of us have to write documents in a syntax only a tiny fraction
of the planet uses and understands.

-hadriel