Re: More liberal draft formatting standards required

2009-07-06 12:09:14
Paul is correct.  I-D Submission in quite intentionally less strict.

I have been out of the office and away from email for the last week, and as a result, I have not fully caught up on this thread. However, there are some things that seem to need clarification.

http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-guidelines.html
This web page provides guidelines for I-D submission. While the vast majority of the information in it is correct, It needs to be updated. The author has just been too busy to do the update.

http://www.ietf.org/ID-Checklist.html
This web page provides the things that are checked by the IDnits tool which is used as part of the online submission checking.

I have personally prepared an I-D and checked it with the IDnits running on tools.ietf.org an then had it rejected by the online submission tool. I have asked the Secretariat to work with Henrik to figure out what is wrong. I suspect others have been caught in the same situation. Perhaps that was resolved in the week while I was away. I'll be checking after I clear my email backlog. The answer might be in it...

There is no intention that xml2rfc be the only way to produce an I-D that is acceptable to the online submission tool. xml2rfc seems to have a higher success rate, and we are working to improve the online submission tool so that all of the various tools have high success rates.

Russ