Re: RFC archival format, was: Re: More liberal draft formatting standards required

2009-07-05 13:14:18
Tim Bray <tbray at textuality dot com> wrote:

Right now ascii text is probably the most widely-supported display format.

- ASCII is not usable for the languages of a large majority of the world's population.

I suspect Melinda meant to say "plain text," and wasn't intending to mix up the "ASCII vs. Unicode" debate with the "plain vs. formatted text" debate.

I predict people will continue to combine the character-encoding issue, the formatted-text issue, the pretty-pictures issue, and the document-creation issue into one big amorphous blob, significantly extending the length of time it will take to agree upon and solve any of these problems.

http://www.ewellic.org