Re: RFC archival format, was: Re: More liberal draft formatting standards required

2009-07-07 17:05:18
On 7 jul 2009, at 22:42, John C Klensin wrote:

The "good" thing is that the current situation leaves so much
to be desired that this should actually be doable.

I do not believe that we can reach agreement on even the last
statement.  I think this discussion shows that our starting
assumptions about what is important, about how to count "(pretty
much) everyone", etc., are divergent enough to make an effective
process like the one you outline unlikely.

The points that you make in the rest of your message are mostly valid, but I think they can be addressed by showing people that if we take a few steps in the right direction, they at least get something that is better than today, so most people would be at least somewhat happy with that.

I truly believe it can be done, and I'd be happy to take the time to make a start in Stockholm if anyone else is prepared to invest time.

(We have a saying in Dutch: "the soup is never eaten quite as hot as it is served" = people are generally more reasonable than their intial positions suggest.)