Re: Automatically updated Table of Contents with Nroff

2009-07-16 06:00:56
All of this is interesting reading indeed and reveals stuff that I did not
know about.

However, I have never regarded boilerplate issues as something that has
bothered me a lot when writing a draft. These boilerplates are pretty stable
and once you got them in place in the first draft (often by copying them
from another document) you can mostly forget about them. Id-nits will always
scream if you need to update.

What I personally has felt as the major void is an easy way to see your
finished product, not after, but during edit.

I don't want to save my current edit to a file and enter it into some kind
of tool to see what I write. I want to see it while I'm editing. E.g. what
happens if I include a page break here? Does it look better if I add an
extra line or should I keep this section on same page?, etc.

I've learned that there are trivial ways to solve many hard issues like TOC
generation in nroff. Seeing how its done it appears trivial only if you know
how to do it and if you are prepared to expand your knowledge about nroff
quite a bit. And you still won't see the result while you edit.

/Stefan

On 09-07-16 7:15 AM, "Julian Reschke" <julian(_dot_)reschke(_at_)gmx(_dot_)de>