Re: WG Review: Recharter of Internationalized Domain Names in Applications, Revised (idnabis)

2009-08-19 12:52:47
Looking at this recharter, the immediate question I had was "what has
actually changed in the charter?" so I can figure out if I care.

I gather there is one very small change. But you'd have to be a WG
insider to know this.

Also, reading through the charter, it reads like it was written a year
and a half ago (which it was), and parts of the text in the charter
are OBE, so just reading the charter as is gives a misleading picture
of where things currently stand.

I guess I'm raising a bit of a meta point here that this recharter
announcement is not very helpful to the general community, which seems
bad. And if the charter needs to be updated, it really should be
updated to reflect the current state of play.

In particular:

 - it is not easy to figure out what has actually changed relative
   the current charter (this could have been handled by a short note
   providing context as part of the  announcement).

 - it includes actions of the form "will do" that I believe have
   already been done. (e.g., there are 6 WG documents, not 4 as the
   charter suggests, the design team is presumably no longer driving
   this, as the documents are fully WG ones now, and the WG is not
   doing an "extended review" of the DT output, etc.)

Now, I suspect that it was decided to minimize the amount of work
needed to recharter and thus just update the one or two important
sentences in the charter, and I sympathize with that desire. But I
would also hope we could at least update it so that the average IETF
reader (or anyone interested in IDNs for that matter) could read the
charter and understand the current state of play. I don't think it
would take a lot of effort to update it, and I'm not calling for any
subtantive changes. They should all be editorial, so additional
changes should not be controversial.

IESG Secretary <iesg-secretary(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org> writes:

Goals and Milestones:
Apr 2008     WG formation
May 2008     Decision on form and structure of the WG document set
Sep 2008     WG Last Call on WG document set
Nov 2008     IETF Last Call on WG document set

Oops!

Thomas