Re: draft-housley-iesg-rfc3932bis and the optional/mandatory nature of IESG notes

2009-09-01 03:52:17
Hi,

On 2009-8-31, at 18:34, Adam Roach wrote:
In particular, when a user accesses a document at a url of the form
<http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfcNNNN.txt>, there is going to be a strong
presumption on their part that the document was produced by the IETF. In
the cases that this presumption is incorrect, it seems tantamount to
deception to tuck the distinction between IETF and non-IETF documents
away in an obscure header field.

I agree with you. This is exactly why I had originally proposed to stick the words "NOT AN INTERNET STANDARD" into the top left corner on the first page (where it currently says "Network Working Group") for all non-standards-track documents in all streams.

That proposal got shot down with the (paraphrased) argument "we should label RFCs with what they are rather with what they are not." I still disagree with this, because the #1 question what looking at any RFC should be "is this an Internet standard or not?"

Lars