Re: Last Call: draft-carpenter-renum-needs-work (Renumbering still needs work) to Informational RFC

2009-09-11 03:08:33
Masataka,

The reality, instead, is that actual networks running IPv4 and IPv6
***CAN'T*** deal with renumbering, because of their inertia.

While I obviously have sympathy for the sentiment, I think your
statement is too strong.  I believe it would be better to say that end
users have an economic incentive to avoid having to renumber, and most
are able to make use of RFC 1918 / ULAs and NAT with attendant
consequences to avoid the effort involved.

Still, I would argue strongly for inclusion of a fuller discussion about
technologies that obviate the need to renumber.

Eliot