Re: IPv6 standard?

2009-09-12 15:20:31

On Sep 11, 2009, at 10:24 AM, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

Hi,

It occurs to me that a small but potentially meaningful thing that the IETF could do to push IPv6 adoption is move RFC 2460 from draft standard to standard.

But it's not obsolete yet. How can we possibly make something that isn't already obsolete a full standard?

Perhaps we should introduce IPv8 as "work in progress", declare IPv6 to be the current obsolete "standard", deprecate IPv4, and stop referencing IPv4 completely in any new work? We could even require "considerations for IPv8" sections in all standards-track drafts, as we know that such a requirement causes forward-thinking in the writing of the draft.

--
dean