Re: [IAB] Request for community guidance on issue concerning a future meeting of the IETF

2009-09-18 15:04:21
On Fri, 18 Sep 2009, John C Klensin wrote:

I am concerned that, if there is some incident --completely
unrelated to IETF-- that someone associated with the host or
hotel might overreact and decide to interpret, e.g., a
discussion about mandatory-to-implement cryptography, as pushing
too close to the "politics" or "criticism" line.

Those concerns are not different with other countries, including the US.
A few hours after 9/11, once I was over my initial shock, I started
downloading all cryptography software I knew was hosted mainly in
the United States. We are far from a universal faith in any national
government.

Pre-emptively excluding countries based on culture, (perceived) bias,
or other non-technical and non-organisation arguments is wrong. So if the
visa issues are not much worse then for other countries, and an internet
connection not hampered by a Great Firewall, I see no reason to single
out China. Perhaps appropriate people could inform about organisational
matters with others who have more experience, for example the IOC.

Paul