Re: Request for community guidance on issue concerning a future meeting of the IETF

2009-09-24 01:20:12

Pete Resnick wrote:
And I'll also note again that this contract is between the hotel and the host. The IAOC contract with either should explicitly include words indicating that the discussion of technical topics that touch on human rights issues are excluded from this clause.

Pete,

Simply crossing off the problematic text is an approach that is clean and simple, and returns the burden to the hotel. Nevermind that some or all of the text is dictated by law.

Your suggested re-wording, however, is twice problematic. First, it tries to guess what is acceptable to the hotel and government. The second is that it tries to guess what is acceptable to the IETF community.

Guessing the former is reasonable when you really are in a negotiation and have some sense of the other side. This ain't one of those cases.

And as a member of the IETF community, I think your proffered text constrains things too far. "Discussion of technical topics" is not likely to cover discussion of the national and other policies that might affect or motivate use of the technology. Yet that, for example, is entirely plausible material for some IETF groups.

Of course, there is also the inherent humor of trying to contractually constrain speech by the entire participating IETF community, given our unruly history...

d/

--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking