Re: Request for community guidance on issue concerning a future meeting of the IETF

2009-09-24 12:36:27
On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 07:19:15PM +0300, Jari Arkko wrote:
But more generally, there are no absolutely safe options, not in China
and not elsewhere. I pretty much agree wit Marshall's analysis on the
motives of the various parties in this particular case, and I'd have no
problem with going over there with the IETF.

Granted, no place is absolutely safe.  But it does seem like China is
more un-safe that other potential venues with respect to free speech,
if we are to take Chinese National Law at their word (and the
argument, "don't worry, Selective Prosecution is the order of the day
in China, and they won't bother us", isn't terribly comforting).

And as others have already pointed out, discussions about how our
protocols are used, and issues around privacy *are* regularly
discussed in IETF mailing lists and meetings.  It's not just about
bits and bytes.  The attitude, "Once the rockets go up, who cares
where they come down?  It's not my department says Wernher von Brown",
while it does exist in the IETF, certainly isn't the only, and perhaps
not even the majority, position.

                                        - Ted