Re: Request for community guidance on issue concerning a future meeting of the IETF

2009-09-23 14:49:05
At 02:17 PM 9/23/2009, Ole Jacobsen wrote:
BUT I am at a loss
to understand why such a statement would be a required part of our
technical discussion.

And I'm at a loss to understand why censoring such a statement (or ejecting an
individual who says it, or terminating the IETF meeting in which is was said)
should be a required part of an IETF meeting?

This isn't a China issue per se - this is about what we expect from and for
ourselves in the context of the IETF.  We have a way of interacting that -
while not pretty - mostly works.  It's unclear to me why we should accept
restrictions on that way of interacting that are imposed from without.  If your
answer is - "because there's some benefit to the IETF" - I would then ask what
else should we be willing to give up for other benefits and where should we
draw the line?