Re: Regarding Internet Connectivity for the proposed IETF Meeting in China

2009-09-24 17:39:47
David Morris allegedly wrote on 09/24/2009 5:34 PM:

There has been much discussion of what the folks at the meeting might or
might not do which might result in some official action to terminate the
meeting early. I tend to side with the folks who believe it would take a
really egregious action to actually activate the clause because I'm
personally aware of how much non-conformance to official rules is
tolerated when officials perceive it in China's interest AND when it
isn't flaunted.

That aside though, I've not seen a description of the part of the
contract provisions and/or venue plans which deal with the 'great
firewall' potential impact on the many ways IETF participants expect to
use the Internet during meetings. Both from a perspective of attendees
as well as those of us unlikely to be present but desiring traditional
audio, video, chat, etc. real time access.

My experience has been that the "great firewall" was barely noticeable.
 I couldn't get to BBC at least once, but I could use IPsec or SSH, and
Skype or SIP whenever I wanted to.