Re: Regarding Internet Connectivity for the proposed IETF Meeting in China

2009-09-25 07:17:44
David Morris <dwm(_at_)xpasc(_dot_)com> writes:

That aside though, I've not seen a description of the part of the
contract provisions and/or venue plans which deal with the 'great
firewall' potential impact on the many ways IETF participants expect
to use the Internet during meetings. Both from a perspective of
attendees as well as those of us unlikely to be present but desiring
traditional audio, video, chat, etc. real time access.

Given the number of people browsing the web or reading e-mail during
meetings, I wonder whether cutting off Internet access beyond internal
network services for jabber, presentation materials, etc during IETF
meetings wouldn't actually _increase_ productivity.  It could make
people pay attention to the technical discussions.  Some people could
even spend the time writing specifications.  Or _implement_ the
specifications and test them against others, although that might be too
far-fetched.

/Simon - only half :-)