Regarding Internet Connectivity for the proposed IETF Meeting in China

2009-09-24 17:35:09

There has been much discussion of what the folks at the meeting might or might not do which might result in some official action to terminate the meeting early. I tend to side with the folks who believe it would take a really egregious action to actually activate the clause because I'm personally aware of how much non-conformance to official rules is tolerated when officials perceive it in China's interest AND when it isn't flaunted.

That aside though, I've not seen a description of the part of the contract provisions and/or venue plans which deal with the 'great firewall' potential impact on the many ways IETF participants expect to use the Internet during meetings. Both from a perspective of attendees as well as those of us unlikely to be present but desiring traditional audio, video, chat, etc. real time access.

Does the IETF plan to install a giant VPN back to a 'safe haven' for the IETF venue LAN, or does the Chinese government have provisions for selectivly unblocking the meeting internet venue?

If not, then it seems to me that the show stopper isn't the potential for dissruptive perveived to be political content, it is the fact the basic working conditions for the whole IETF aren't provided.

In this context there is also the potential perceived rules violation from IETF mailing list content originating outside of China.

David Morris