Re: Legality of IETF meetings in PRC. Was: Re: Request for community guidance on issue concerning a futuremeetingof the IETF

2009-10-06 04:50:00
John,

Dave, I disagree, at least slightly, but that is because I
suffer from a concern --documented in a "request for review" and
previous notes to this list-- that the IAOC/Trustees are _not_
doing their job, or at least the part of that job that requires
keeping the community informed about the decisions they are
making and the reasons for them.

Speaking as myself.  I think we have heard this message and we
are working on improving communications.  We have spent time to
get all outstanding meetings done, we are now working on making
minutes of new meetings more readable for somebody not present
at the meeting.   We also started to explicitly ask the community
about choices we have to make for meetings, for example, Quebec
vs. Vancouver or China or no China.

BTW, we are still looking for a volunteer scribe for our meetings :-)

Suppose he posted a list of questions to which he thought we
should have answers before we put a meeting in any location that
has a reputation (justified or not) for regulating the free flow
of information, asked whether the IAOC had answers to those
questions for a particular case, and, if they did, that they
share those answers with the community?  I think that would be
reasonable and that the IAOC could reasonably respond to such a
question by saying "yes, similar questions were asked, we think
the answers are reasonable, and the discussion is documented in
the IAOC Minutes of ...".   Except that he did ask, hasn't
gotten an answer like that and, by the way, there are no minutes
of enough substance to be pointed to on that (or any other)
issue.

We have a long list with issues that we think should be settled before
we decide to go there or not, and we are working on the document
describing why we decided one way or another.

Henk

Henk Uijterwaal                           Email: henk.uijterwaal(at)ripe.net
RIPE Network Coordination Centre          http://www.xs4all.nl/~henku
P.O.Box 10096          Singel 258         Phone: +31.20.5354414
1001 EB Amsterdam      1016 AB Amsterdam  Fax: +31.20.5354445
The Netherlands        The Netherlands    Mobile: +31.6.55861746