Re: Logging the source port?

2009-11-15 15:44:02
On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 10:49:36AM +0100,
 Arnt Gulbrandsen <arnt(_at_)gulbrandsen(_dot_)priv(_dot_)no> wrote
 a message of 11 lines which said:

Therefore, I think it's safer to say that it's the NAT operator's
responsibility to log enough. Umpteen million web sites will
continue to use apache's common log format, so the NAT operator has
to log what's needed to work with that format anyway.

How could it be possible? The only way I see for the NAT operator to
be able to say that the customer X went to www.priv.no at 2241 UTC is
to log not only the source-address/source-port mapping but also the
*destinations*, which create obvious privacy issues (and would make
the log *much* larger).