Re: silly legal boilerplate, was Regarding RIM's recent IPR disclosures

2009-11-20 00:36:38
It is a standard footer attached automatically by many attorney's
email systems to all outgoing mail.

Many non-attorneys' mail, too, as in this case.

Yes, it's silly: as far as I can tell, confidentiality claims like
this are entirely unenforcable in the US except in a few arcane
situations that only apply to messages from one attorney to another.
It's just another example of pseudo-legal nonsense running amok.

But I have often been sorely tempted to return messages like this with
boilerplate of my own explaining that since I cannot accept the
sender's alleged restrictions, the message has been returned unread,
and since I have no way to evaluate the sender's status relative to
the party applying the notice, disclaimers in a message saying to
ignore the boilerplate won't help.

R's,
John

From: "Andrew Allen" <aallen(_at_)rim(_dot_)com>
To: <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Thursday, November 19, 2009 6:11 PM
Subject: Regarding RIM's recent IPR disclosures
solicitor-client or other applicable privileges), or constitute non-public
information. Any use of this information by anyone other than the intended
recipient is prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error,
please immediately reply to the sender and delete this information
from your system. Use, dissemination, distribution, or reproduction
of this transmission by unintended recipients is not authorized and
may be unlawful.

This is just plain silly.  Or is it willful ignorance of the "Note Well"
terms?