Re: Corporate email attachment filters and IETF emails

2009-12-08 09:05:23
IETF Member Dave Aronson wrote:
Robert Moskowitz <rgm-ietf(_at_)htt-consult(_dot_)com> wrote:

ALL my IETF mailing lists come to email accounts that I control on my own
mail server. but....

I recently submitted my first Internet Draft since my company was bought by
a BIG TELCO, and it has BIG email filtering rules.  In large part these
rules were developed by my colleagues in the other part of my company that
was bought by the BIG TELCO.

But the short of it is that only a small selection of email attachments are
let through and otherwise the email is dropped silently.  Thus the email for
validating an ID submission never got to my corporate email account.

Maybe you could point out to The Powers That Be, that if they want any
glory for their company for your work in helping shape the future of
Teh Intarwebs, their silly mail rules are interfering.  Don't expect
them to change their rules, just point out that you have a perfectly
valid reason not to use a company email addy, for this sort of work.

Meanwhile, use one of your personal addresses.  That's probably more
permanent anyway; even if you don't leave the company, as you've seen,
companies get bought.  The new owner doesn't always maintain the email
processing for the old name(s).  Getting your own domain (or multiple)
is generally your best bet.

-Dave (owner of davearonson.com for mainly that reason, and a few others)

I have had htt-consult.com since '95. I have wanted htt.com, but it was already taken by some guy in Spain.

Old email addresses has always been a problem here. My email in RFC 1918 has not worked for almost 12 years.

I also have an IANA enterprise number: 6715 that I actually used a couple times for some X.509 attribute work...