Re: WG Review: Internet Wideband Audio Codec (codec)

2010-01-04 10:49:16
I don't think it is a very good idea to attempt this type of work in
the IETF. We have enough difficulty doing crypto algorithms and that
is an area where we have tens of people with decades worth of
expertise who pretty much mostly agree on the algorithms to use in any
case.

An unencumbered CODEC would be very useful, but any new CODEC that was
developed would be subject to attack by patent trolls. So the group
would be pretty much limited to reviewing existing technologies and
attempting to select one that is out of patent.

Looking at technologies that are out-of-patent or soon to be out of
patent, well DVD came out in 1995 and the patent licensing terms are
reasonably well defined. MP3 and AC3 are the existing industry
standards. If we know when the patents drop dead, I can't see how IETF
imprimatur is going to add or detract anything there. Its not as if
the IETF can stand behind the spec and say that it is definitively
unencumbered. So the most we are going to have is a document that
brings together all the relevant information and allows people to
quickly come to a degree of confidence that the technology will be
inencumbered on a certain date.

On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 8:56 AM, Roni Even