Re: WG Review: Internet Wideband Audio Codec (codec)

2010-01-06 15:52:21
It seems to me that a group should be chartered with two sets of aims

First to define a process for registering Internet audio CODECs for
use on the Internet. This is slightly more complex than simply
allocating an IANA code point as there are potentially parameters
involved and these need to be exposed to the higher level protocol.

When a code point is registered we need to have a document that
defines the parameters, bit packing, packet segmentation and other
issues, the set of applications for which it applies and the
proprietary encumbrances that are known to affect it.

Second, to register a set of base CODECs that have already established
some form of support base. This is likely to mean rather more than
simply providing a reference to an existing document that describes
how to do everything but should not extend to performing 'research'
into compression techniques.