Re: WG Review: Internet Wideband Audio Codec (codec)

2010-01-07 11:20:57
Quoting Stephen Casner <casner(_at_)acm(_dot_)org>:
In the past, particularly when I was co-chair of AVT, there was
significant pressure from IETF leadership against IETF (and AVT in
particular) standarizing codecs out of concern that to do so would
step on ITU toes.  We made a carefully considered exception for iLBC
because it had goals similar to those now being proposed.  If the
concern has now dissipated, that's fine with me.

Please note that there have been several liaisons between the ITU and the IETF
about that and, should a working group be formed, a collaboration between
between the two SDOs would be considered. One option that was discussed during
the last BoF (http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/09nov/minutes/codec.txt) was to
form a joint team similar to the JVT, where an MPEG WG worked with ITU SG16 on
H.264. In any case, the idea is not to replicate what the ITU is currently
doing.

    Jean-Marc