Re: >1 Day One Day Passes

2010-02-24 20:01:16

On Wed, 24 Feb 2010, Ole Jacobsen wrote:

Speaking as someone involved in deciding this experiment (and it
really is still an experiment that could be revoked before the
next meeting -- IETF 78) I can tell you that the intent was always
to allow ONLY one day's attendance on the day-pass and that multiple
day passes were not an "intended use" and therefore perhaps we should
have prohibited such.

but you didn't ... seems like a suitable experiment to expand based
on private emails I've received, there would seem to be more interest
than just my own.

The IETF has never been about policing and door monitoring and relies
on the honor system in many ways. You could certainly argue that
getting 2 x $200 is better than getting nothing if you decide not to
attend, but with only one meeting we don't have a lot of data that
tells us about use and abuse of this system, so it's still an
experiment. (Those more economically inclined than me can further
analyze the numbers). Trying this in Japan made sense since we (and
our host) wanted to introduce the IETF to a wider community of
"locals" (all of Japan really), and in Japan getting permission to be
out of the office for ONE day is a alot easier than getting permission
to be out all week.

When RIPE introduced one-day passes they got more attendees overall,
and more meeting revenue and of course the benefit of greater
interaction with more people at the meeting (yes, this is the ultimate
goal as you say), but the RIPE community may not behave the same way
as the IETF community, especially when you consider that you can fly
from, say, Oslo to Amsterdam early in the morning, attend an all-day
meeting and fly home at night.

That works for Anaheim as well if you happen to be from the San Francisco
Bay area and your last meeting doesn't end at 8pm ... which was the
case when I last used that approach for an LA IETF meeting.

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Cisco Systems
Tel: +1 408-527-8972   Mobile: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: ole(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com  URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj