Re: Fwd: [rt.ietf.org #24364] mail.ietf.org. is ietf.org., Remove MX Records For Less Spam

2010-02-26 11:00:19

--On Friday, February 26, 2010 6:49 AM +0000 John Levine <johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com> wrote:

Discussion, please.  See below for my take; the IETF is one host, MX is
really meaningless, and there are benefits to avoiding a ton of spambot
zombie spam.

That's not a very good idea.  I wouldn't count on zombies ignoring the
IETF, nor would I count on there not being real MTAs that will hiccup
if there's no MX.  I've certainly seen filtering setups that view mail
from domains without MX records with scepticism, since there would now
be no techincal difference between mail from the IETF and mail from a
bot-infected wifi printer.

I very much agree with this statement. Not having an MX won't do a single bit of good against bots. In fact I'd argue the *opposite* case, that not having an A record does more. They definitely seem to deliver more often to the A rather than the MX. Having worked at and built a number of large hosting operations where the WWW servers (A records) would get *LOTS* of SPAM bot attempts.

I'd argue not having an MX will cause far more problems with legitimate mail servers and e-mail activity.

If you want to filter the spam, filter the spam like everyone else
does.  It's not rocket science.  Don't set a bad example for the rest
of the world.

R's,
John