Re: What day is 2010-01-02

2010-03-15 11:14:06
On 3/13/2010 3:35 PM, John C Klensin wrote:

--On Saturday, March 13, 2010 15:21 -0500 "Phillips, Addison"
<addison(_at_)amazon(_dot_)com> wrote:

This is a prime example of the IETF's waste of time and energy. The ISO
8601 date standard is the obvious answer and yet this convo is still
going...

Todd

(from digest)

ISO not withstanding, its still confusing if only because
other cultures use yyddmm.  If the IETF website used
something like  ISO-2010-01-02 maybe.

Actually, for culturally-formatted date strings, cultures that
prefer day-month order typically put the year at the trailing
end. It turns out that cultures that put the year first in
their local date format always use month-day order afterwards.

Unicode's Common Locale Data Repository (CLDR) project lists
several hundred locales, which you can browse for both the
sheer diversity of forms (separators, abbreviations,
calendars, and such) within the relative homogeneity of
overall patterns (just three: mdy, dmy, and ymd). See:

   http://www.unicode.org/cldr

Addison,

While it doesn't change the conclusion, I've actually see many
uses of ydm in the wild.  I haven't taken the time to try to
find out, but I've assumed that was the reason why the current
version of ISO 8601 moved to "one delimiter and it is hyphen"
from the permissiveness about delimiter choices in its
predecessors.

    john