Re: What day is 2010-01-02

2010-03-17 11:20:37
On 17 mrt 2010, at 17:02, Michael Edward McNeil wrote:

(Although the exposure to non-standard ways of doing things may make this
harder for Americans.)

Since Americans habitually use month-day order anyway, why would YYYY-MM-DD
be especially difficult for them?  It's Europeans and others who typically
use day-month order that would seem likely to incur difficulties -- except
that putting the year first is a pretty glaring clue that the order shouldn't
be regarded as it usually is for them.

Absolutely. But Americans don't expect this kind of stuff to make sense,
because they're used to having a different way of measuring everything, while
in the rest of the world we're used to the metric system so we assume things
make sense. So an American wouldn't necessarily consider yyyy-dd-mm
inconceivable while people from elsewhere probably would and just assume
yyyy-mm-dd.