Re: What day is 2010-01-02

2010-03-18 11:45:51
YAO Jiankang <yaojk(_at_)cnnic(_dot_)cn> wrote:
"HUANG, JERRY (ATTLABS)" <zh1424(_at_)att(_dot_)com> wrote:
What I am not so sure about is the sweeping statement that Americans
would likely have difficulties with the 'yyyy-mm-dd' format. I walked
around the office and polled seven of my co-workers who happen to be
around (all engineers by trade, five 'natives'), all seven (eight
including me) _know_ what it means.

Good test. but you tested it only in your office which, I think , is located
in USA.
So the conclusion derived from your office test may apply only to most
offices in USA.

Have you tested it in U.K., France, ASIA countries such as Japan,
China of different culture and background?

He was specifically reacting to the statement that *Americans* would
be more likely to have difficulties with this format.  I found that
claim strange myself, since I live in the US and I've never met anyone
who has difficulties with that format.

[ I believe that China uses YYYY-MM-DD anyway, and Wikipedia agrees:
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Date_and_time_notation_by_country#Greater_China
]

"HUANG, JERRY (ATTLABS)" <zh1424(_at_)att(_dot_)com> wrote:
Perhaps this really is a non-issue after all?

That's about what I said in my other email on this thread: Other than
the email that started this thread, which mentioned a single
individual who found 2010-01-02 ambiguous, I have *NEVER* heard of
anyone finding that format ambiguous.  As I said in that email, I
think we'd need some evidence that there's an actual problem before
it'd be worth discussion a solution.  As far as I can tell, there's
no such evidence, and no problem here.
  -- Cos