Re: Why the normative form of IETF Standards is ASCII

2010-03-19 18:26:57
Andrew Sullivan wrote:

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 01:39:38PM -0700, Bob Braden wrote:
It would be good if RFC authors put atleast as much care into the
clarity and organization of their contents as you are devoting to a
discussion of the formatting.  The contents are what matter, and fancy
formatting may (or may not) be a distraction from the more important
issues of contents.

I fully agree, and it is why I was so vexed by Donald Eastlake's
inital claim that the I-D and RFC format is "plain ASCII".

In my view, we have an actual serious problem in that there is an
increasingly high barrier to I-D submission because idnits has a large
number of rules, nearly all of which are about formatting.

When I submitted my very first I-D last November, it took me about
10 minutes to fix the few issues that idnits reported.

If you have significantly more problems, then maybe you are using
the wrong tool to write I-Ds.  Try NRoffEdit.  It will take care
of many of these issues for you.  :-)

As previously mentioned, I gave up on trying to _install_ xml2rfc
one hour after downloading it.  I was writing the third page of
my I-D one hour after downloading NRoffEdit.

-Martin