Re: Why the normative form of IETF Standards is ASCII

2010-03-28 13:38:52
On 27.03.2010 00:17, Martin Rex wrote:
If an I-D author has issues with idnits complaining about formatting,
then the toolchain of that author is likely responsible for this
shortcoming.

Indeed; or the lack of a tool chain :-)

IMHO, being able to do this without chasing around for an authoring
version of someone else's draft is neat.  For various reasons,
asking the original I-D editor for an authoring format version
of his I-D was not an option -- and an XML-based authoring format
would have been entirely useless to me anyway.

Just clarifying: but it would have been helpful for other authors that use xml2rfc. Thus, it's good to submit it with the Internet Draft when available. (But PLEASE submit standalone versions that do not require additional files; xml2rfc's "toxml" mode is your friend).

Personally, I know very little about XML.  I don't use it my self,
the code that I'm writing and maintaining neither uses nor creates XML.
All of my Editors are plain text editors and I don't know or care
how any of my Browsers (MSIE6 or FF3.5) could be made to display XML.

I'm editing XML code with a text editor. This is not a problem.

I realize that you don't care about the XML format, and doing it in browsers, but for those who might be interested:

- Get rfc2629.xslt (distribution archive at <http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2629xslt.zip>)

- Add

  <?xml-stylesheet type='text/xsl' href='rfc2629.xslt' ?>

  to the top of the source file (but after the XML declaration)

- Point your browser to the source file (works with the two browsers Martin mentioned, and all recent ones anyway).

- Caveats: do not use the PI-based inclusion mechanism; more documentation at <http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2629xslt/rfc2629xslt.html>.

(and the editing process I use must be entirely offline capable
  for policy reasons that are otherwise not relevant to this
  discussion).

Yes, that's a given. You don't need to repeat that :-)

Best regards, Julian