Re: Last Call: draft-ogud-iana-protocol-maintenance-words (Definitions for expressing standards requirements in IANA registries.) to BCP

2010-03-21 20:09:24
On Thu, 18 Mar 2010, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

In my opinion this is not ready for prime time.

+1

I concur with Brian's points #1 and #2.

I'm further concerned about DISCOURAGED. Here it is defined as "Implementations SHOULD support this functionality," which seems very counter-intuitive. (It was worse in version -02, where the 2119 MUST was used, making DISCOURAGED a stronger statement than MANDATORY.) There's too much potential for confusion here.

With that said, I am sympathetic to need Andrew describes, of wanting to collect this requirement information in one place (for DNSSEC, in particular). Putting this in the IANA registry is a grand idea.

But the terms in this doc still need work.

-- Sam