Re: Make HTML and PDF more prominent, was: Re: Why the normative

2010-03-22 13:15:16
Donald Eastlake wrote:

Martin Rex <mrex(_at_)sap(_dot_)com> wrote:

And if we should change anything about the Author's Address section,
then it would be to replace the contact information with URLs
to an IETF web server where each author can update/maintain his
contact information.

No. I have no problem with *supplementing* it with such a URL but any author
listed on the front page should have an email address, a postal address, and
a telephone number listed in the RFC. The model for an RFC is that of a
permanent book, not an ephemeral web page. I am opposed to the migration of
more of RFC content to links requiring Internet access and perpetual
maintenance.

Supplying both, the currently used "contact" information for the
Author at the time of document submission, and a URL that points
to the real/valid information several years later is probably fine.

While the authorship itself for a published RFC does not change,
the contact information, and sometimes even the (last) name
can be quite volatile.  This applies in particular to affiliation,
work phone numbers and work email addresses for a considerable
amount of authors in the IETF community.

-Martin