Re: Above market hotel room rates

2010-03-25 20:46:48
On Wed, 24 Mar 2010, Tony Hansen wrote:

Another factor is that the going IETF room rate may include other items as part of the package. For example, in Hiroshima breakfast was included in the IETF room rate, but not the "off the shelf" rate. Other amenities will vary.

Indeed. There are also variations in the publicly available rates: for $20 more than the rate I posted, $55 less than our group rate, you could have an equivalent room, a quite extensive breakfast buffet for two, a bottle of sparkling wine, and late checkout (the "romance package" -- what every IETFer needs). There were other options with net, Disney ticket discounts, restaurant credits, and the like. And there are rates via third parties. I figured the "Best Available" rate as shown on the hotel's web site and as quoted by the desk to walk-up guests was a simple and fair starting point.

As new data, the Anaheim Hilton raised its rate this week to $209, perhaps as a result of having this discrepancy pointed out. But if you're willing to stay over the weekend, you can still get rooms for $139 (check in tonight, leave Tuesday). And they're advertising $99 rates next week. (or $94 for seniors, $119 for the romance package)

-- Sam