Re: Publishing call for discussion?

2010-04-18 12:50:04
Steven, Marshall,

So basically, you write an I-D, send it to RFC editor. It gets published, people discuss it. Later on it expires and is removed.

Not quite -- the RFC editor gets involved only when the decision has been made to publish it as an RFC.

You submit I-Ds via https://datatracker.ietf.org/idst/upload.cgi; as long as you meet the publication requirements (formatting, boilerplate, etc.) and don't name is as a working group draft without the consent of the chairs, publication is more or less automatic. After it appears, I'd advise you send a message to the appropriate mailing list -- a WG list, for example -- pointing it out to people.

Got it. Thanks for your help!

You should read the "Tao of the IETF."

A did read it pretty carefully. AFAIR the process of publishing "informational memos" is not explicitely covered. Maybe it would make sense to add one sentence about the topic?

Note that Internet Drafts ("I-Ds") are ephemeral - "publishing" just means "appears as a draft," and, yes, that's pretty automatic.

What most people think of as publishing is done when I-Ds become Requests for Comments (RFCs), and that is by no means automatic.

I was asking specifically about ephemeral publication, so I've got the answer I was looking for.

Martin