RE: Gen-ART LC review of draft-ietf-yam-5321bis-smtp-pre-evaluation-05

2010-05-18 05:01:26
Hi Roni,
At 23:37 17-05-10, Roni Even wrote:
I am not the expert on the requirements and it will be up to the IESG. I

I don't know whether you are pondering what I'm pondering. Do you mean that it is up to the IESG to define what the requirements are?

think that when you go to full standard you need to take out any commands
and tags that are not used by interoperable products. If that was done
previously than it is OK but I suggest that you mention it to the IESG.

Quoting Section 4.1.2 of RFC 2026:

  "A Draft Standard is normally considered to be a final specification,
   and changes are likely to be made only to solve specific problems
   encountered."

According to Section 4.1.3 of RFC 2026, an Internet Standard, or what is sometimes referred to as Full Standard, is a "specification for which significant implementation and successful operational experience has been obtained".

The YAM WG Charter states that:

 "The working group does not intend to revise the actual protocols
  in any way and will avoid document changes that might even
  accidentally introduce protocol changes, destabilize a protocol,
  or introduce semantic or syntactic changes."

 "If an existing protocol implementation is conforming to the Draft
   Standard version of the protocol specification, it must also be
   conforming to the resulting Full Standard version."

   the "success in the WG requires that there be a good-faith
   commitment by both its participants and the IESG to avoid seeking
   changes that (a) do not contribute in a substantial and substantive
   way to the quality and comprehensibility of the specification, or
   that (b) force a change to the existing protocol."

There is an expectation that the IESG is aware of the requirements specified in RFC 2026 and what is written in the YAM WG Charter.

Regards,
-sm

P.S. If there are any false expectations, the IETF will have to review the biological recombinant algorithmic intelligence nexus. :-)