Re: [newprep] WG Review: Stringprep after IDNA2008 WG (newprep)

2010-05-18 13:33:54
"Marc" == Marc Blanchet <marc(_dot_)blanchet(_at_)viagenie(_dot_)ca>
writes:

    Marc> we had a discussion about the same subject: i.e. should we
    Marc> restrict the scope to a specific set of documents to
    Marc> review/update/... or do we keep some provision for other
    Marc> documents coming in the stream that require "help" of the
    Marc> newprep. I was arguing for the latter. To me, what you are
    Marc> talking about is the latter. Obviously, some people wanted the
    Marc> charter to be restrictive in order to not go all over the
    Marc> place, and I agree in principle... However, this work is kinda
    Marc> horizontal: touches many areas, so having a more large view of
    Marc> the problem space and documents that depends on this newprep
    Marc> work would be very valuable to the working group
    Marc> work. Therefore, I'm more for opening a bit the charter for
    Marc> the cases like the ones you are talking about.

I'm happy with a restrictive charter so long as the work areas
identified today (including mine) are included.  I'm happy drawing a
line in the sand and saying "here's what we'll touch first," so long as
people who bring up items now get included.  I'd probably be happier
with a reasonably open charter.

I'm not at all happy if the items I bring up or other similar items
brought up now are excluded.