Re: IPv4 depletion makes CNN

2010-05-27 23:31:38
As native IPv6 connections are compared more and more with IPv4 NAT:ed
connections, I think this will go quicker than what people think. Note that
most of the difference between the protocols are features and operational
experiences the ISPs have. For the end user...how much difference is there
really in how Google or Facebook works?

But you asked for a year Steve, and I think we are now in IPv6 where we where
with IPv4 around 1994. But those 16 years will take 8 years to catch up.

The end user though, will not notice when IPv6 is in use. Not even now I
claim... (and turn on my flame protector).

1.4% of the unique IP addresses each 24h to my mail server (that is not large,
handles maybe 30k email messages a day) are IPv6 today, and that is when I
merge incoming and outgoing SMTP, i.e. both clients that are configured to use
the name of the server explicitly (for outgoing mail), and those that look up
MX and then A/AAAA (incoming).

   Patrik