Re: IPv4 depletion makes CNN

2010-05-28 11:00:21
On 05/28/2010 05:01 PM, David Conrad wrote:
On May 28, 2010, at 1:29 AM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
Today, most users are *not* behind ISP NAT or some other form of global address
sharing.

An interesting assertion.  I'd agree on the ISP NAT part.  Not sure about the "other
form of global address sharing" part, since single NAT is address sharing.  Do you
have any data?

Consider bittorrent. Bittorrent clients generally can run behind NAT, but in that case they have to be on the same ethernet as the NATbox, so it's a safe bet that the bittorrent USER has a real address. Am I stepping out on a limb if I state that most users can run bittorrent?

Arnt