RE: IPv4 depletion makes CNN

2010-05-27 15:03:11
2015 seems awfully optimistic. I wouldn't want to be the poor soul responsible
for their ISP network who built a transition plan based on a 2015 depletion and
then realized I was wrong by a few years.

Jason

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Brian E Carpenter
Sent: Thursday, May 27, 2010 12:14 PM
To: Ole Jacobsen
Cc: Noel Chiappa; ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: IPv4 depletion makes CNN

On 2010-05-28 02:44, Ole Jacobsen wrote:
I guess my point was more that this article actually quotes a *real*
expert rather than someone we've never heard of --- a more common
practice for the press. Whether or not you agree with Daniel, he does
at least have extensive experience in these matters.

The major problem with the story is that it confounds IANA runout
(objectively predicted for 2011) with when ISPs run out of IPv4 space
(which is not so easy to predict, but 2015 is a popular estimate). The
rest is pretty good for a story in the non-technical media, IMHO.

You can find Daniel's recent talk at http://www.ipv6.ie/summit2010/.

   Brian