Re: IPv4 depletion makes CNN

2010-05-28 03:29:48
On 2010-05-28 04:51, David Conrad wrote:
Well, no.  While that is a problem, I suspect the real issue is:

'Within 18 months it is estimated that the number of new devices able to
connect to the world wide web will plummet as we run out of "IP addresses"'

I strongly suspect that Daniel said "connect directly", which is certainly
true when an ISP runs out of global IPv4 addresses.

and this quote:

"The internet as we know it will no longer be able to grow,"

That's just factually incorrect
Today, most users are *not* behind ISP NAT or some other form
of global address sharing. A double-NATted Internet is very different
from a single-NATted Internet as we know it today.

and sensationalistic hype. Whether it is counter-productive depends on whether
people simply dismiss it out of hand as "yeah,
yeah, just like the world will end at Y2K."

IPv4 free pool runout simply means connecting to the Internet is going to get
more expensive.

No, it means it is going to require double NAT unless providers deploy IPv6.
That is the message that needs to be got across.

   Brian