Re: Proposed IAOC Administrative Procedures

2010-05-28 16:27:45
"IETF" == IETF Administrative Director <iad(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org> writes:
    IETF> 9. Members shall at all times act in a disinterested manner
    IETF> and consider only the benefit to the IETF standards process
    IETF> and community as a whole in discussions and decisions. The
    IETF> Members shall promptly disclose any material conflict of
    IETF> interest and recuse themselves from related decisions.

This seems kind of weak to me.  In particular , members are not required
to make a statement of interests that might potentially become conflicts
when they join the IAOC.  In addition, it seems like members are only
encouraged to discuss a conflict when it reaches a point where they must
recuse.

I'd recommend amending this to:

1) Require members to make a statement of their interests when they join
the IAOC or whenever the contents of their statement would materially
change.  Specific wording is tricky here, except that a small Google
search reveals that at least a ]statement of financial interests is very
common and we have many examples of policies to draw from that require
such statements.

2) Members should be encouraged to ask other members if a particular
issue raises conflicts that might fall within that member's stated
interests.

3) Members are encouraged to discuss their own questions about whether
they have a conflict with the chair or the IAOC as a whole.

I think that without these or similar changes the policy is not strong
enough to meet standards our community should require of leaders charged
with financial matters for the organization.