Re: Proposed IAOC Administrative Procedures

2010-05-28 20:44:09
At 15:10 28-05-10, Ted Hardie wrote:
It is common to have different notice requirements for in-person and
teleconference meetings.  I would suggest that the IAOC do the same,
using something like 30 days for in-person and two weeks for teleconferences.

Yes.

Provided it meets the requirements of A.

Yes.

Note that ISOC Board also appoints a member of the IAOC according
to Section 4 of BCP 101; this does not include any information on whether
that appointee could serve.

The section above is actually a modification of BCP 101, in my opinion,
in that it restricts the choice of the IAOC in whom it may select as chair.
According to BCP 101, only a similarly approved document may modify
it, so I think this has to be out of scope.

The paragraphs in b,c,d are actually a restatement of parts of section
4 of BCP 101, and I'd suggest you either state plainly that this is the
case or not include them.  We don't want to get into discussions of
which text rules a particular matter there.

There are some quirks in the procedures. As it's not an IETF Consensus document ...

Restating BCP 101 is not a good idea. Ted commented about that for item 8. BCP 101 clearly states that "the members of the IAOC shall select one of its appointed voting members to serve as the chair of the IAOC".

I think guided by RFC 4071 is entirely to loose.  It is governed by it.

Yes.

I note that it is common to have a higher bar than simple majority for
changes to things
like by-laws.  If these were just administrative procedures, simple
majority with
two week notice would be fine.  But these seem to me to stray a bit from that.
A change in the conflict of interest policy, which seems to be embedded in this,
seems to me to require a higher bar and longer consultation.

  "The IAOC attempts to reach consensus on all decisions.  If the IAOC
   cannot achieve a consensus decision, then the IAOC may decide by
   voting."