Re: IPv4 depletion makes CNN

2010-05-30 07:44:15
Patrik,

... the simplest (and recommended) way to do this is to use dual stack (full stop).

Unfortunately on applications layer I do not see enough operational experience/best practice/actual implementations that handle this in a very good way.

There are issues, of course.

The number of people I talk with that are nervous the cost for customer support will be higher(!) for dual stack situations than IPv6 only. I.e. that there are some arguments in favor of "one day simply give the client an IPv6 address only instead of an IPv4 address only".

That I get the question, that people think in these terms, I think is "interesting".

It is interesting, and naturally there will be a day when IPv6-only is the preferred model. The day comes at different times for different people. I'm already there myself.

However, we have to understand this situation not merely from the point of view of whether there are issues with dual stack. There are. But there are also issues with IPv6 only. My personal experience is that in today's world, dual stack works better due to its greater operational experience, software availability, and other reasons. Others may have their own experiences and may draw different conclusions. What I would like to advocate, though, is making decisions on network architecture based on actual operational experience as opposed to assumptions (e.g., "just one address implies no problems").

Jari