Re: [IAOC] Proposed IAOC Administrative Procedures

2010-06-02 23:07:59
On 2010-06-02 20:11, Doug Barton wrote:
On 06/02/10 10:50, Bob Hinden wrote:
The IAOC's intent in creating these "proposed IAOC administrative
procedures" was to write down what we were doing in areas where we
thought BCP101 wasn't clear to us or didn't specify anything, and
then get feed back from the community. We were not trying to revise
or alter BCP101. We wanted this to be transparent to the community.
From the comments received so far, I think this wasn't clear enough
and we will try to have the next version make this clearer.

Regarding the minutes, what can I say except mea maxima culpa. We
have fallen behind and will try hard to get caught up between now and
Maastricht.

Bob,

I think it's probably safe to assume that your actual goal in this
effort was to promote transparency. Given that as a goal, one wonders if
there are any activities in that category that should have a higher
priority than producing thorough and up to date minutes, which the
community has repeatedly asked for, and which you have promised to produce.

Put another way, given that there are only so many hours in the day I
have a hard time imagining why you would choose to spend some of them
working on this document instead of working on the minutes. Of course,
if there was some overwhelming demand from the community for an
administrative procedures document that I'm not aware of, I'd appreciate
a pointer so that I can get up to speed.

We're so quick to forget the problem statement wg, the gen area, ADVCOMM and how it became necessary that we create the IAOC in the first place.

With Apologies to the late Harry Gaz I think it went something like this:

     Captain Murphy: Until we find the thief, I am declaring Martian
     law!

     Sparks: Um, I think its martial law.

     Captain Murphy: Silence! Under Martian law... uh... what are my
     powers, exactly?

     Sparks: Under martial law, you could suspend habeas corpus,
     empower a posse comitatus...

     Captain Murphy: That's crap. Mars is wild, untamed. I'm forming a
     cadre of Martian knights charged with enforcing Martian law.

Check the IETF 58 plenary minutes.

For what it's worth I think the IAOC should work on clarity of communication and transparency, and further I think that when the subject of "whether this is worth paying attention to" or "why do we have to cope with this boring adminstrative detail," comes up, the answer to the questioner is, that you either weren't around for or choose not to recall the bad old days, both of of which are understandable and forgivable omissions.

joel

Doug