Re: The IPv6 Transitional Preference Problem

2010-06-17 22:25:49
On 18/06/2010, at 12:05 AM, Sabahattin Gucukoglu wrote:

It's Apple we're talking about here.  Have a look at this for some nasty
surprises:
http://www.fix6.net/archives/2010/03/06/the-strange-behavior-of-apples-mdnsresponder/

Apple's mDNS responder is open source, and you can read through the relevant
function yourself at:

http://www.opensource.apple.com/source/Libinfo/Libinfo-330.3/lookup.subproj/mdns_module.c

The function you're looking for is _mdns_query_mDNSResponder.  The block
comment describing the behaviour is consistent both with the code beneath it
and with observed behaviour on the wire.  I would not call it a nasty surprise.

If you were to look at si_addrinfo_list_from_hostent in si_getaddrinfo.c you
might find a genuine nasty surprise - AAAA results always appear before A
results on OS X, even if the local host only has loopback IPv6 addresses.  (And
even if the local host has global unicast v4 and 6to4 v6).

  Byron

-- not speaking for my employer