Re: The IPv6 Transitional Preference Problem

2010-06-17 12:24:57
David Conrad wrote:

On Jun 17, 2010, at 12:18 PM, Martin Rex wrote:
Maybe because it would be a big waste of network bandwidth and close
to a Denial of Service (DoS) attack if every client would try every
IPv4 and IPv6 address in parallel that it can get hold of for a hostname.

In a world of broadband, gigabit ethernet interfaces, high speed
wireless, etc., I have some skepticism that attempting both v4 and v6
connections in parallel is a "big waste",

I don't know what the broadbands for the average home users look
like where you are, but here they're typically <= 640kBit/s upstream.

much less anywhere near "close to a Denial of Service (DoS) attack".

If you look at hostnames such as hp.com which have 13 IPv4 listed in
the DNS, it would probably have a significant effect on their
infrastructure if suddenly every client would attempt 13 parallel
TCP-connects and kill 12 of them pre-natal or during infancy.

One would be needlessly and senselessly flooding the listen queues
of many servers.  Effectively, there is little that distinguishes
such clients from SYN flood attackers.

-Martin