Re: Admission Control to the IETF 78 and IETF 79 Networks

2010-07-01 12:01:53

On Jul 1, 2010, at 11:50 AM, Ole Jacobsen wrote:

You wrote:

"It is clear to people unfamiliar with the IETF that IETF meeting
participants means people who have registered for the IETF meeting."

Correct.

... and their accompanying persons (who can also get a slip).

Regards
Marshall

"I have been told that an IETF meeting does not have security guards
at the door to verify who has a badge to determine whether the person
is registered for the meeting. If someone walks into an IETF meeting,
the person can enjoy the cookie for free and even provide a
contribution at the mic. The person enjoys the same privileges as
people who have paid for meeting attendance fee."

This is also true, but it is clearly not DESIGNED to let anyone
participate for free in our meetings. I'd call this a "side-effect"
that, if abused, would be remedied with exactly the kind of guards
and badge checkers you envision. Participation in our PROCESS is open
and can be achieved through mailing lists. Participation in our
meetings has a real cost associated with it regardless of how it is
funded. You are well aware of the fellowship program for example.

"The fashion in the IETF is to have an open network. There isn't any
admission control and credentials are not required to enjoy the
benefit of free and full Internet access. The IETF may run out of
cookies; it never runs out of bandwidth."

I would have to disagree. You were probably not even born when we
had real terminal rooms with real terminals and computers and mean
looking security guards who very much did check badges. As stewards
of the IETF meeting resources, I would say that it is perfectly
reasonable for the IAOC (or the local host) to control access to
<insert resource> to only meeting participants. There is no principal
difference between cookies and network here as far as I am concerned.
And as others have pointed out, access control to WiFi networks is
the norm rather than the exception, even when they are "free".

Cheers,

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Cisco Systems
Tel: +1 408-527-8972   Mobile: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: ole(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com  URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj