Re: Admission Control to the IETF 78 and IETF 79 Networks

2010-07-13 10:37:44
Intel got a bloody nose on that one because they were incompetent and lied.

A few weeks before the launch an Intel person told me about the serial
number scheme as a means of tracking down CPUs stolen during
distribution. Then at the launch we were told how the serial number
was going to enable a new generation of DRM systems (which it did
not). When asked the PR flacks denied the purpose was preventing
theft. Afterward I was told that the history was that some VP was
going to give a keynote and decided they needed something to announce
and so marketing repackaged the anti-theft scheme.

It was a pointless argument as every PC has at least ten unique
machine readable identifiers. From the point of view of enabling DRM
schemes, any identifier is acceptable, even if it is fairly soft and
easily changed. So the objections do not prevent the outcome they wish
to prevent while preventing outcomes that might be beneficial.

Any security scheme that is worth having is going to change the
accessibility of information. That is intrinsic to the function.